Steve Taglio and Pablo Luther won a three-way race for the Los Altos School Board early Wednesday morning, besting candidate Amanda Burke-Aaronson.
Taglio, an appointed incumbent, was chosen by the LASD board to fill out the last year of the term of departing Trustee Margot Harrigan at the end of 2011. The Los Altos resident and a LASD parent said some of the feedback he heard during the campaign were in corporated planning a large community meeting just Monday night.
Pablo Luther, a Los Altos resident who has been chair of the CACF and a parent of students who have graduated from LASD schools, told Patch he learned how truly passionate Los Altans are about education.
Burke-Aaronson, a Mountain View resident whose children attend Bullis Charter School, which falls in the district boundaries, was a distant third.
Results in are in the chart below.
The race started with four candidates vying for two seats.
The fourth candidate, Vladimir Ivanovic, a Los Altos Hills parent who serves on the district’s Citizens Advisory Committee for Finance (CACF), withdrew Oct. 16 and the field narrowed to three.
Los Altos Patch has provided mini-profiles on each candidate, which you can see by clicking on the name of each candidate. In addition, we have provided links to related stories. Ivanovic’s profile is not included because of his withdrawal from the race.
The Los Altos-Mountain View chapter of the League of Women Voters has additional information on its Smart Voter site, some of which we’ve provided here:
- Occupation: RN/University Professor
- Master of Science, Nursing
- Attendance Area Advisory Committee, 2007
- Community - striving to bring the entire community together for the good of our children.
- Communication - soliciting feedback from the community by such methods as constituent surveys, round table discussions, and "open mic" nights
- Innovation - using innovative ways to keep LASD's top programs in the face of the current financial challenges that face
Occupation: Finance Executive
Serves on Citizens Advisory Committee for Finance 7 years
Three children who attended private school, Oak, Loyola and Blach LASD schools, now graduated
Unite parents, older adults and students
- Occupation: Appointed Incumbent
- Vice President, Education Software Co.
- Strategy/Planning/Operations experience
- Former President Covington PTA (2 years)
- Golden Oak PTA School Service Award
- Site Council and Technology Chair
- Parent of 2 children in Los Altos public schools
- Education delivery innovation
- District growth strategy
- Long-term financial stability
Results000 of 000 Precincts Reporting (100%) Votes Percentage Los Altos School Board
Steve Taglio 7,400
Pablo Luther 6,580
33% Vladimir Ivanovic (withdrew 10/16) 000,000 6,3% Amanda Burke-Aaronson
23% *indicates incumbent