Although the holiday we'll celebrate on Monday, Presidents' Day, honors the birth dates of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and the rest the men who have served as president, it was the first federal holiday to honor an American citizen.
The original holiday was celebrated on Washington's actual birthday in 1796 (the last full year of his presidency) on Feb. 22.
So, in honor of the birth of the commanders in chief from 1796 to today, here are some closures in and around Belmont:
- All federal, state and county offices will be closed Monday.
- Belmont City Hall and respective offices, will be closed on Monday.
- In addition, all schools, libraries and post office will be closed on Monday.
- No classes will be held at NDNU or San Mateo County community colleges.
- Some banks, however, will be open on Presidents' Day, including Wells Fargo. Check with your local bank before leaving home.
- Although the Belmont Parks and Recreation office will be closed Monday, some recreation classes that have been pre-arranged will still take place; check with your instructor. Saturday dance classes will not be held this week.
- SamTrans will operate regular non-school weekday service on Presidents' Day.
- Caltrain will run on a modified Saturday schedule on Presidents Day, with 40 trains operating between San Francisco and San Jose, including one round-trip to Gilroy.
- The Caltrain schedule will include seven limited-stop trains in the morning and afternoon. For more information on fares and schedules, call 1.800.660.4287 (TTY 650.508.6448), or visit www.samtrans.com or www.caltrain.com.
For more news about Belmont and surrounding areas, including unincorporated San Mateo County, follow us on Twitter and "like" us on Facebook. Get Patched in daily by signing up for our newsletter.
Want to blog for us? Click here.