Parks, Planning, Finance, Mosquitos.....There's a Spot For Everyone

Applications are now being accepted by the City of Belmont for three commissions, and one county board.

Want to get involved in Belmont WITHOUT running for public office? Consider applying for a city commission or a countywide board. 

The City of Belmont is currently recruiting residents interested in serving on various three city commissions:

  • Planning Commission (two openings for three-year terms) The Planning Commission meets the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 7:00 p.m. The Commission reviews and takes action on planning applications, and makes recommendations to the City Council on zoning and land use issues.
  • Parks and Recreation Commission (three openings for adult seats for two-year terms.) The Parks and Recreation Commission meets the first Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. and makes recommendations to the City Council on matters pertaining to Belmont’s Park and Recreation programs, as well as on capital improvements to the City’s various parks and open space areas.
  • Parks and Recreation Commission (two openings for youth seats for one year terms). The City Council will consider applications from Belmont residents who are between the ages of 13 and 17 years old. Parent/Guardian consent is mandatory. These seats are for one-year terms. Youth members are full voting members of the Commission.
  • Finance Commission (two openings for three-year terms. The Finance Commission meets bimonthly on the every other Thursday at 7:30 p.m. and participates in the budget review process, conducts an annual review of the City’s investment policy and, at the request of the City Council, evaluates proposals, programs and contracts for long and short term financial consequences. Finance Commissioners serve for three-year terms.
  • In addition, the City Council is looking for a resident to serve as its representative on the San Mateo County Mosquito and Vector Control District. The Board of Trustees consists of 21 members, one from each city and one representative for the County at-large. Trustees are appointed by their respective City Councils to govern the Mosquito and Vector Control District. They serve for a term of two or four years. The regular board meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month, beginning at 6:00pm at the District Office in Burlingame.

To apply for any of these positions, fill out the application form available on the website or from the City Manager’s or Clerk’s Office (One Twin Pines Lane), and return it to the City Clerk’s Office no later than 5:00 PM on Friday, January 31, 2014. Applicants must live in Belmont. It should be noted that incumbent members of all these commissions are eligible to apply for reappointment.

The deadline to apply is 5:00 P.M. Friday, January 31, 2014, and the application is available on the City’s website: www.belmont.gov under “City Council and Commissions,” by calling (650) 595-7408 or 595-7413, or in person at the City Manager’s Office or the City Clerk’s Office, City Hall, One Twin Pines Lane.   

For more information, contact the City Manager’s Office at 650-595-7408, or the Clerk’s Office at 650-595-7413.



More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »