.

Unattended Work Lamp Sparks Basement Fire in Belmont

No one was injured in the fire Thursday afternoon.

An unattended work lamp left on in the basement of a Belmont home lead to a house fire Thursday afternoon.

Belmont fire officials responded at about 3:25 p.m. to reports of a structure fire in the 1800 block of Mezes Avenue, Belmont Police Capt. Pat Halleran said.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke coming from the basement upon arriving. With the help of firefighters from the San Mateo-Foster City Fire Department, the fire was extinguished within about 30 minutes.

The fire was confined to a small portion of the basement and there were no injuries, Halleran said.

The cause of the fire is under investigation, however preliminary information indicates that the fire was accidental and appears to have been started by an unattended halogen work lamp that was left on and was too close to some clothing and other household objects in the basement. 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »