President Barack Obama’s visit to Redwood City has brought an excitement amongst residents, but concerns amongst business owners about early closures.
But negotiations between the and the Secret Service have increased the number of businesses around the that can remain open for the event.
The following streets will be closed:
- Broadway will be closed to vehicles at Jefferson. Pedestrians may enter Broadway, but only those with tickets to the Presidential event may go beyond Middlefield Road.
o Businesses on Broadway between Jefferson and Middlefield may stay open.
- Broadway will be closed to vehicles at Winslow. Pedestrians may enter Broadway, but only ticket holders may go beyond Hamilton Street.
o Businesses on Broadway between Winslow and Hamilton may stay open.
- Broadway businesses between Hamilton and Middlefield, including the San Mateo County History Museum, will need to close by 3 pm.
- Theatre Way/Middlefield Road will be closed to vehicles between Marshall Street and Winslow/Middlefield. Pedestrians may enter Middlefield Road at Marshall.
o MOST businesses on the east side of Theatre Way (the Century Theatre side) may remain open.
o Businesses on the west side of Theatre Way (the Fox side) will need to be closed at 3 pm.
o Businesses on Middlefield Road between Broadway and Marshall may stay open.
- Hamilton Street will be closed to vehicles at Marshall. Pedestrians may enter Hamilton, and go as far as Broadway.
o Businesses on Hamilton between Marshall and Broadway may stay open (no exiting from parking lots onto Hamilton).
- Hamilton Street south of Broadway will be closed to vehicles and pedestrians.
o Businesses on this section of Hamilton will need to close by 3 pm.
- Winslow Street will be closed to vehicles from Broadway (pedestrians are ok up to the curve), then along the Middlefield Parking Lot, and as it transitions into Middlefield, all the way to Jefferson Avenue. The rest of Winslow remains open.
- Jefferson Avenue will be open to vehicles and pedestrians (parking restrictions remain; no street parking after 3 pm).
o Businesses on both sides of Jefferson between Middlefield and Marshall may stay open.
- Marshall Street will be open to vehicles and pedestrians.
o Businesses on Marshall may stay open.
- The Middlefield parking lot next to the railroad tracks will be closed at 3 pm.
- The Jefferson parking garage underneath the retail/cinema complex will be open.
- The library parking lots on Middlefield will be closed at 3 pm.
- Those holding tickets to the Presidential event will be allowed to enter a staging area on Courthouse Square. It’s not yet clear what time that initial entrance to the Square will be available. The line will start near the Theatre District archway on Middlefield at Marshall.