The former custodian who was for allegedly molesting two students posted bail early this morning and has been released from custody.
Andre Edwards, 52, posted a $200,000 bail bond and was released at about 1:45 a.m. He had been scheduled to appear in court at 1:30 p.m. today for his initial felony arraignment, but a new court date has been set for April 18.
Edwards was arrested without incident on Thursday afternoon after the launched a four-month-long investigation that stemmed from a female student's reports that Edwards inappropriately touched her.
According to the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office, Edwards was alone with the female student in his office at 7:30 a.m. on Nov. 15, 2010. Edwards allegedly "grabbed her buttock and cupped her breast with his hand," the district attorney's office reported.
The student told school officials after first period, and the police were called.
It was the second time a student had accused Edwards of such behavior; in 2001, Edwards allegedly put his hands down the pants of a 13-year-old girl and touched her genital area, according to the district attorney's office.
That girl also reported the incident, but the case was not prosecuted due to lack of corroboration. Edwards was told, however, to not be alone with any students in his janitor office.
Edwards has denied the claims.
On Feb. 28, he retired from the Belmont-Redwood Shores School District, where he had been employed since September 1987, Superintendent Emerita Orta-Camilleri said.
She declined to give a statement on the matter. The members of the school board also did not want to speak on the subject.
Edwards is due to appear in court on April 18 for his initial felony arraignment. He is charged with two counts of committing lewd or lascivious acts on a child under 14.