The first table just inside the tasting room at Chocolate Fest has belonged to Kathy’s
Kreative Kakes of San Mateo for every one of the 30 years the benefit has been
showcasing the best in chocolate on the Peninsula. That position recognizes the amazing
gift to the event that Kathy’s has consistently provided over the years.
Kathy’s business was born out of the creative eye and baking skills of Kathy MacDonald
who opened the shop on South B Street in 1976. Her flair for uniquely decorated and
exquisitely flavored cakes — all with a little bluebird set into the lush frosting as Kathy’s
signature. If a client had a special request, perhaps Spiderman or Dora the Explorer or a
basketball player wearing Hillsdale Knights colors, all that was needed was a picture to
work from and Kathy would provide the centerpiece of the party that couldn’t come from
any place but Kathy’s.
When Kathy MacDonald was ready to hang up her apron five years ago, she was lucky
enough to find another Kathy (with a “K”) in Kathleen Luzzi who succeeded her and
has continued to take her place at the first table at Chocolate Fest. Visitors can expect to
sample the richest dark chocolate cake with the butteriest chocolate frosting, but they will
have to look to the tiered display cake with the “30” in icing to find the bluebird.
Chocolate Fest Details:
- Fri. Oct. 5 & Sat. Oct. 6
- Congregational Church of Belmont, 751 Alameda de las Pulgas
- Tastings will be from 7:30 to 10 p.m. Fri. and from 1:30 to 4 p.m. and 7:30-10 p.m. Sat.
- Tickets for the afternoon sessions are $17.50 pre-sale or $20 at the door; in the evening, tickets are $22.50 pre-sale or $25 at the door. Children and seniors will be admitted for $15 in the afternoons.
- Order online at www.uccbelmont.org/events.html or call 650-593-4547.